Wednesday, May 20, 2009

There It Is by Jayne Cortez

I gave just finished reading "There It Is" by Jayne Cortez. This poem expresses her true rebellious frame of mind. Through its simplicity and basic frame builds a very straight forward portrayal of her point. Upon reading I felt as if I were a listener watching her speak in a protest. Though, for my taste, this poem was a little TOO simple, I do like how I did not have to go digging way deep into the poem comprehend it.
What definately stood out to me was her use of a base frame for the structure of her points, it's almost as if she's slightly touching on the concept of repition in a way, when she says we will wear "the exaggerated look of captivity the stylized look of submission the bizarre look of suicide the dehumanized look of fear and the decomposed look of repression" if we submit ourselves. She just keeps listing what can potentially happen. This is where her more detailed language comes in; she does this to emphasize her ferocity of her point and to build more of a righteous feel in her protest.

No comments:

Post a Comment